MENU
X  
-
-
-
 
 
 

History

History With the launch of the Adana-Mersin railway in the year of 1886 there occurred an increase in the number of ships that arrives and departs from Mersin Piers. As seeking faster loading and discharging possibilities of those vessels first "Stone Pier" and after "Customs Pier" was constructed by Mersin Municipality.

An experienced port management was needed due to rapid increase in the sea trade and MERSIN PORT COMPANY was established on the date of 29 August, 1927 with the partnership of Seyrisefain Agency; Mersin, Tarsus, Seyhan and Ceyhan Municipalities and Mersin Trade Chamber and Mersin Private Accounting. The capital of the company was TL 200,000.

HistoryThe company suffered due to the natural disasters and was decided to be taken over by the Government following the liquidation decision in 1942. The Decision Numbered K/323 on its assignment to the State Railways and Ports Management General Directorate with a price of TL 400,000 referring to the 6th Article of Turkish National Security Law was approved with the Council of Ministers Decree Numbered 2/17874 and dated on 9 May, 1942 published on the Official Gazette Numbered 5106 and dated on 14 May.

HistoryThe construction of Mersin Port was started on 3 May, 1954 in a modern and protected way, and the construction was carried out by the Royal Dutch Port Construction Company. The port which was reconstructed with all of its facilities has started operations in a modern way in 1962. The operating right of Mersin Port, which had been operated by Turkish Republic State Railways (TCDD) until the date of 11 May,2007, was assigned for 36 years to Mersin International Port Management INC. (MIP), which was established by the PSA-Akfen Joint Venture Group, on the date of 11.05.2007 after the tender made by the Privatization Administration.